EBU History

July 1958 – one year after the treaty of Rome was signed – marks the creation of the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS). UEMS – an international association constituted with a philanthropic, scientific and pedagogic object based in Belgium - united national medical organisations of the European Community in an effort to coordinate, then harmonize the specialist trainings and the criteria for recognition of medical specialists.
In 1962 the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS) set up specialist sections for the main disciplines practised in the member states.
It was in 1985 that the UEMS Section of Urology formally started. The UEMS Section of Urology/European Board of Urology (EBU) – a foundation with its central office based in the Netherlands – opened its offices in Rotterdam in 1990. 

The early nineties were a period of intense work for the EBU’s founding fathers. It is through the efforts of many outstanding urologists that the solid foundation of our organisation was laid. This period was also the time when most of the EBU’s  tasks and objectives were defined and implemented, allowing for continuous growth and improvement in the decades to follow.

The first European Board Examination in Urology was held in 1992. One year later, the first urology training centre received EBU certification, followed by the launch of in-service assessment in 1996 and the introduction of the first CME/CPD credit management system in 1998. Even though the main set of activities remained unchanged, much has been worked and improved on since then.

The Strategic Alliance between the EBU and the European Association of Urology (EAU) signed in 2003 was a significant step forward in the advancement of European Urology. Both act as independent organisations, yet they recognise and complement each other’s responsibilities.